Saturday, February 21, 2009

Do Women Need Special Workout Clothing?


Maybe you have never thought of this, I know I never did, but looking good while you get fit can actually motivate you and give you confidence. No, I don’t mean piling on the makeup like our beloved and departed Tammy Faye Baker or having your hair perfectly coiffed, I am talking about wearing the right clothing. Yes, the right clothing can give you that boost to keep going, almost like some sort of drug free high, a sprit lifter if you will. (Hmmm, maybe this is why I have lulls in my exercise routines).

I for one have been wearing the same old sweats that I can remember buying back in 1999. They have been washed so many times that to tell you what the original color was, is next to impossible. But then again, I don’t go to the gym to workout, I do all my workouts at home, in my basement, but even so, even if no one can see you like at the gym, you still need to have the right clothing.

One of the most important piece of clothing to put lots of thought into is your footwear. Get footwear compatible for whatever exercise(s) you plan on engaging. This may mean that you end up with several different pairs of sneakers but trust me, you will thank me for letting you in on this secret. If you walk, get a good pair of walking shoes, if you run, you will need shoes for that as well, if you are the fitness fanatic that dabble in various forms of exercise, then a pair of cross trainers may be the best bet for you. The different shoes have different levels of shock absorbers for the different type of exercise, but you already knew that right? Oh, one thing that most people forget, when trying on athletic shoes, take the socks that you plan on wearing with the shoes with you, this lets you see how the shoes feel with the socks and ensures the best fit. I only just learned that, and boy I could have used this piece of knowledge years ago.

Divas, lets go to the “girls.” We need a GREAT not good, sports bra. The last thing we need is to be knocked unconscious when running or doing jumping jacks. (Hey, is that considered a sports injury?) Besides, last time I checked “flapjacks belonged in a diner. Invest in a bra that pulls moisture away from the skin like a moisture-wicking fabric, minimizes jiggling and bounce (you don’t need to be bound as if you are wearing duct tape though) and last but not the least important, is comfortable. Don’t forget adjustable straps to reduce the possibility if chaffing on the shoulders.

Let’s not forget your underwear, yes, we can talk amongst ourselves about that topic, it is not a secret anymore. Please, please, please do not wear cotton underwear., cotton gets wet quickly and stays wet longer. Quick drying, moisture-wicking fabric is best. Last thing you need is something that holds in moisture, that can only promote “other” health issues that we all know are unpleasant and even more uncomfortable.

As for pants or short and tops, again I am going to tell you NO cotton for the same reason as NO cotton in your underwear, it will get wet faster and stay wet longer, which will only make you uncomfortable and cut your exercise time down. Try clothing that is blended with spandex, this gives you some flexibility when moving, again, moisture-wicking fabrics are best. The same suggestion stands for your socks when it comes to the moisture factor, cotton will not be a friend to your feet, moist feet can only lead to foot fungus later down the road (yuk). Does color matter do you ask? No, not really, but my personal choice would be black, after all, black is slimming and looks good on any shaped body.

To cut this long story short, check out your local sports stores or online stores for your clothing, I am sure you will be able to find a knowledgeable sales person who isn’t sixteen years old and looks at you with a dead starfish look in his eyes when you ask questions. For your shoes, I would definitely do the in person store thing, you really want to try on as many pairs of shoes as it takes to get the proper fit.

TTFN
Diet Diva 4 Life

No comments:

Post a Comment